To the past, or to the future. To an age when firmware is transparent. From the age of the DMCA, from the age of the tyrannous embedded device vendor, from a de-obfuscator of the secret sauce... greetings!
OFRAK (Open Firmware Reverse Analysis Konsole) is a binary analysis and modification platform that combines the ability unpack, analyze, modify, and repack binaries.
OFRAK combines the ability to:
- Identify and Unpack many binary formats
- Analyze unpacked binaries with field-tested reverse engineering tools
- Modify and Repack binaries with powerful patching strategies
OFRAK supports a range of embedded firmware file formats beyond userspace executables, including:
- Compressed filesystems
- Compressed & checksummed firmware
- RTOS/OS kernels
OFRAK equips users with:
- A Graphical User Interface (GUI) for interactive exploration and visualization of binaries
- A Python API for readable and reproducible scripts that can be applied to entire classes of binaries, rather than just one specific binary
- Recursive identification, unpacking, and repacking of many file formats, from ELF executables, to filesystem archives, to compressed and checksummed firmware formats
- Built-in, extensible integration with powerful analysis backends (angr, Binary Ninja, Ghidra, IDA Pro)
- Extensibility by design via a common interface to easily write additional OFRAK components and add support for a new file format or binary patching operation
See ofrak.com for more details.
The GUI view provides a navigable resource tree, and for the selected resource: metadata, hex navigation, and an entropy / byteclass / magnitude map sidebar. The GUI also allows for actions normally available through the python API like commenting, unpacking, analysis, modification and packing of resources.
,_________.___________._____________________.___________. | Actions | Resource | HEX view | Visualizer | | | tree | | | | | | | Any of: | | | | | Entropy | | | | | Byteclass | |_________|___________| | Magnitude | | | | ... | | Tags & Attributes | | | | (of selection) | | | | | | | L_____________________._____________________.____________,
See the Getting Started guide for examples on how to use OFRAK.
The code in this repository comes with an OFRAK Community License, which is intended for educational uses, personal development, or just having fun.
Users interested in using OFRAK for commercial purposes can request the Pro License, which for a limited period is available for a free 6-month trial. See OFRAK Licensing for more information.
Please contact [email protected], or write to us on the OFRAK Slack with any questions or issues regarding OFRAK. We look forward to getting your feedback! Sign up for the OFRAK Mailing List to receive monthly updates about OFRAK code improvements and new features.